This week I tried two new recipes which were semi successes. I had some issues with both dishes but over all they tasted pretty good. Will have to work on somethings next go round.
Makes: 6 servings
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, finely grated
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups broccoli, cut into bite sized pieces and blanched
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 pinch nutmeg (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Mix the rice, finely grated cheese and one egg in a bowl. Press the rice mixture into a pie plate, about 1/4 inch thick.
- Bake in a preheated 450 degree F oven until the edges and bottom just start turning golden brown, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Mix the remaining eggs, milk, broccoli, sharp cheddar cheese and green onions in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Pour the egg mixture into the pie crust.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree F oven until golden brown and set in the center, about 30 to 35 minutes.5 Ingredient Peanut Butter Granola Bars
makes 12-16 granola squares
4 cups rolled oats
2 tablespoons chia seeds (these are optional, I just love the texture they give)
1/2 cup unsalted peanuts, chopped
3/4 cup natural peanut butter, melted
1/2 cup brown rice syrup (honey works too!)
dried fruit (I made some with cherries!)
Preheat over to 350.
In a large bowl, combine oats, chia seeds and peanuts. Add brown rice syrup (or honey) and mix to combine. Add melted peanut butter and mix until moistened. This works as a perfect, simple granola bar, but you can also throw in any add-ins at this time. Fold them into the dough. You may need to get in there with your hands and work the granola dough! If dough is still too dry (this can depend on your ingredients) add more peanut butter or syrup (or honey) 1 tablespoon at a time until moistened.
Press dough in a greased (non-stick spray) 9 x 13 baking dish. Bake for 25 minutes.
These would also work as a great no-bake granola bar, but I liked how they came together and the chocolate chips melted as they got warm. If you want to make no-bakes, simply press the dough into the pan and refrigerate for 60 minutes.
Some issues I came across:
Quiche- may have over cooked the brown rich crust, I also used Almond Milk instead of reg milk.
Granola Bars- they did not come out like bars and were somewhat dry in some areas. It was more like trail mix/granola. There are some tips listed on the recipe link that may help out with my next batch. Overall it was tasty and good snack.